Hot Spots at Leidseplein
Leidseplein in Amsterdam, ringed by cafes, theaters and nightclubs, bustles day and night. During the day Leidseplein buzzes with fire-eaters, street musicians and mime artists. At night it is the hang-out for tourist revelers and the occasional local. The neon-lit streets leading off the square are packed with restaurants, cinemas, coffee shops and clubs.
Leidseplein is the hotspot for all who crave a fun night out. So many bars, cafes and clubs that is difficult to know where to start. Nightlife at Leidseplein provides a place for every style and budget – jazz, swinging bands, soul music, salsa, dining, drinking and smoking. Amsterdam nightlife scene is famous; party until the small hours; drink, dance and be merry.
10 Best Hotspots Leidseplein
1. Alto Jazz Café, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 115 – small brown café that attracts a slightly older crowd, live jazz blues, jazz and soul seven days a week.
2. Maxim Piano Bar, Leidsekruisstraat 35 – favourite of music lovers who like to sing along and are addicted to Moët & Chandon champagne.
3. Jimmy Woo, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 18 – dress to impress for this luxurious night club, be dazzled by the design – the club won the Dutch Design prize, be blown away by the sound – the club was awarded ‘the best club sound in the Netherlands’.
4. Melkweg, Lijnbaansgracht 234 – live music plus dance hall, cinemas, fringe theatre, lounges and art galleries. mega venue that attracts 300,000 visitors every year.
5. Paradiso, Weteringschans 6 – rock, hip-hop and world music in a former church. Celebrities, such as Lady Gaga and Al Green have played in the Main Hall. Lesser like Franz Ferdinand and Kings of Leon performed in the Small Hall.
6. Boom Chicago, Leidseplein 12 – comedy club based on improvisational theatre. English-language stand-up comedians and is best enjoyed over dinner and with a few drinks.
7. Sugarfactory, Lijnbaansgracht 238 – from DJ’s and soul music to salsa, discover your creative self through dance, live music, live art, poetry, theater and cabaret.
8. Bulldog Coffeeshop, Leidseplein 17 – Bulldog, Leidseplein branch, opened its doors on 1 April 1985 with a wink to the establishment; nobody believed that a coffeeshop selling hash was to open in a former police station.
9. Rookies Coffeeshop, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 145 – old style coffeeshop aka hash bar with pub style ambience, more authentic than touristy Bulldog.
10. The Oyster Bar, Leidseplein 10 – sublime oysters, but also scallop and octopus terrine and sea bass served with tagliatelli.